Buying & Selling Tips
Whether you're in the market to buy or sell, I am here to support and help you with your real estate needs through every step of the process!
Buying a Home
- Think long-term & re-sale. Planning to have kids? Will you be taking care of elderly relatives? If you're likely going to move again in a few years, think about your target audience when it comes time to sell. If buying a house in a bad school district or a house on a very busy street, most families with children will be out of your list of potential buyers when you decide to re-sell.
- Make a list. What are your must-haves, nice-to-haves and other essentials in your ideal home? If you have a partner, have them make a list separately from you so that you can compare.
- Get pre-approved. This means a mortgage lender has actually checked your credit and determined how much they could lend you. It’s one step better than pre qualification, where a lender gives you an idea of what you can afford. This step gives you additional buying power, too. It shows a seller you are serious and have the money to make a move.
- Sweeten the deal. Cash or large down payments get extra attention in a competitive bidding situation. However, other considerations, like closing date flexibility and shorter inspection periods can give sellers an additional push to take your offer.
Selling a Home
- Fix the big things. Before listing your home, get inspections for any roof damage, termites, and other hidden concerns.
- Declutter and depersonalize. Take down everything that puts your personal stamp on your home (like family photos, religious décor, personal memorabilia and collections) and get it in storage. Buyers want to imagine your house as their house.
- Upgrade, don’t remodel. Small upgrades like replacing the kitchen sink faucet, re-painting the living room and re-carpeting the bedrooms make a huge difference. If you have an outdated kitchen or bathroom, you’re usually better off discounting the asking price, so a buyer can choose their own finishes.
- Show me the numbers! A good agent will give you a price range and always shows you numbers supporting the suggested list price they came up with. Don’t forget that at the end of the day, the final listing price is your decision.